Tamil Nadu House Canteen info
Tamil Nadu House Canteen, Chanakyapuri timings
Cost and prices at Tamil Nadu House Canteen, Delhi India
User Reviews for Tamil Nadu House Canteen
We are a group of friends who go to the state run restaurants every weekend. Once we reached Tamil Nadu Canteen, we were escorted to the restaurant where the members eat. It is definitely cleaner than the restaurant for the aam janta.
The chicken 65 and chicken fry was outstanding. The biryani was a mistake. Fat over cooked rice with fatty meat is not what gets any palate drooling!
The malabari paranthas were fresh which is a relief and go very well with the snacky stuff we were devouring. The chicken chettinad was average; nothing much to write home about.
Call me biased (I am originally from the south), but I'll be dammed if I let this place get a rating below 4. I beg to differ from a lot of the so-called foodies that have rated it poorly. I certainly feel that the food served here should get more credit than it deserves, especially because the flavours are quite authentic and the food is reasonably fresh. Yes, I do agree that the decor (or the lack of it) leaves a lot to be desired. There's almost always a messy wet trail of footprints from the hand wash area. The place does seem to run out of the items on the menu rather quick, and the service can be a bit tardy. But I present you four items on the menu that will never disappoint a true foodie.
1. The Mutton Chetinad - quite piquant and singing with all the right spices. This one is quite a wake up call for your palette and a sinus buster.
2. The malabar paratha - nicely layered and among the better ones in the city. A great companion to the above.
3. The fish curry. It could easily take on its much raved about counterpart at the Andhra Bhavan. Beautifully tangy and spicy - it does hit the right spots.
4. The Biryani - one of the better examples of a quintessential South Indian biryani. I really can't fault it.
So there. It gets a 4 from me. Do give it a try.
Ever seen ads like -> "P.G. for Men! Only Rs.4000 per month.Including food and unlimited internet."
Now you don't think about taste,quality etc if you are eating at such a place.You just expect to eat something palatable and hope that it won't cause any long term health effects.
Now even if you are a tamilian, go to this canteen only with this much expectations and...you may still be disappointed!
AVOID this restaurant, especially for their thalis.
It is undoubtedly well situated and that possibly is the reason why we ended up getting lured to go there again.
The food at best is average and the politeness of the staff somehow doesn't cover that up.
1. We ordered the special Kaadhai ( Quail) - we know what a Quail looks like. We were prepared. What arrived on the table was a complete bird ( with the tail) dipped in curry. In spite of growing up watching WWF and Bruce Willis action movies, a regular heart just sinks and goes into 'awww' mode looking at that little cute birdie. I joined PETA the next morning.
2. The North Indian Thali - at 145 Rupees is a bargain. That's what I thought till it arrived.
Orange Shahi Paneer with golden red oil floating around the bowl. Need I say more ? I actually felt bad for the King that must have been fed that MTR tasting dish on the pretext of being SHAHI.
3. The Egg Biryani was a calculus equation - Take Rice + Add Spices + Add Egg --> You have egg Biryani ( with the whole egg perched on top of the rice).
The coffee was the saving grace !
Next time, I'll drive a little extra and eat better.
I have been here several times in the past, but was apprehensive about returning to the TN Bhavan canteen after the change in caterers a few months back and after reading the subsequent abysmal reviews of the place. However, not much seems to have changed, though my judgement, in relation to food, is limited to the biryani and the chicken 65 i had. I went there last night for dinner. The ambience has always been ordinary, and was the same, though there are new chairs, which are marginally better looking (I will not venture far enough to use the term classier) than the previous ones. Service was, as before, no-frills and simple. The biryani was as good as before, as was the chicken 65. Pretty yum! The place is quite cheap - biryani + chicken 65 + some extra papad was less than Rs. 300, and value for money.
Foodies who viewed this restaurant also viewed
Related to Tamil Nadu House Canteen, Chanakyapuri
Restaurants in Popular Locations around Chanakyapuri
Frequent searches leading to this page
Statistics for Tamil Nadu House Canteen, Chanakyapuri
Page last updated on: